Friday, June 12, 2009

Taiwan- Day 2

Today was a very long and eventful day. I'm not quite used to the time difference, so I woke up at 4 this morning. Lukily I was able to fall back asleep until 5:30. Unfortunately that just added to my exhaustion after today. We went to St. Peter High School today. I was the first one there so I had to stand outside for 10 minutes before anyone else showed up. Once we were all there we got to watch some of the performances that they have every morning before school. They had two bands play and some of the junior high students came over to play the recorder for us. A girl played a traditional Taiwanese instrument, but I'm not sure what it is called. My favorite performance this morning was the break dancers. It was very exciting to watch. We did our first performance today and it went pretty well. After our performance we got to meet the principal of St. Peter High School. Then we walked over to the junior high to do a knot making class. At first it was hard, but then I got the hang of it and now I am really proud of what I made.
We got to meet some of the students from St. Peter that had graduated the day before yesterday. They were very nice and it was fun getting to talk to them. We found out that they were going to spend the whole day with us, and we were very excited.
After our knot making class we went to the Little Ding Dong Science Park. There we got to go paintballing. It was very hot with all of the gear on, but it was a lot of fun. I didn't get hit until the last 10 seconds of the game, which my brother will probably be proud of me for. Unfortunately when I got hit the paint ball didn't break, so now I have a big welt on my arm.After the game we had lunch at the Park. I don't know what all was on my plate, but it was pretty good. We learned more about the students with us and about their school days, which are a lot longer than ours. We also learned how much more expensive things are in the US.
After our time at the park we went for a bike ride along the beach. The bikes we used were awesome. Some just used a two person bike, some used a three person bike, but Malcom, Robert, my mom and I rode a four person bike. It was really fun but also very hot. We rode for probably a total of 40 to 45 minutes. on the way back we followed some of the Taiwanese students a different way back. That way was much shorter than the other way. We went by a bunch of rice fields and we got to see some people working in the fields. We ended up being the first ones back, which made Malcom very happy.
We were all very hot and sweaty when we got back, so it was nice taking an air- conditioned bus back to the school. We said bye to our new friends and we were picked up by our host families. Ben came with me and we went with Nancy to see a performance held by the World Senior High School. Unfortunately we didn't get to stay because we were outside and it looked like it was going to rain. It was funny though because almost everyone ended up there. We all decided to try Mister Donut and it was so good! After that we decided to all go see a movie together. We went to a grocery store to buy the tickets, which was cool because you can't do that in the US. Before we went to the theater we went to go try rice burgers. Rice burgers are made with lettuce and your choice of meat in the middle, and instead of a bun they use like rice patties. They were so delicious! We decided that we would definately go back for more another time.
When we were done eating, we went to the theater to see the movie. We decided to see The Hangover. Amanda and I shared a small popcorn, a medium drink, and a churro, which we didn't expect to see here. We also found out that the sprite here is so much better than the sprite in America. We are all going to miss it. Amanda and I sat next to each other during the movie and we ended up falling asleep. After the movie we all went home. It was a very long day, but it was so much fun. I can't wait to get to see what else we get to do.

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa and I are enjoying your blog very much. Sounds like you are having a great time and making new friends. Keep us posted on everything. It is so interesting that I even have some friends who are wanting to read your blog.
    Love you much,
    Grandma Barner

    ReplyDelete