Monday, June 15, 2009

Kuang Fu High School, a Birthday Party, and Shopping!

Today I had to wake up pretty early to go to school with Cathy. Yes, on a Saturday! One thing I've learned while I've been here is that some of them have school on Saturdays! I am not quite sure if I would enjoy that privilege of spending that much time in high school.
Her parents dropped Cathy and I off down the street from her school, where we met Wil and his host student, Bob.
We all walked in the school together, and wow-- I have to say, their school is amazing.
First off, it's gigantic, and secondly, the kids clean the floors/pick up trash instead of janitors. When we got inside, there were kids mopping the floor and picking up trash. However, they all paused to turn and stare at Wil and I.
While standing with Cathy, I met some of her friends. They were all really nice, and one of them said to me, "You are like a movie star!" which I thought was pretty funny.
Soon, we all returned to their classroom, where Wil and I learned that although they clean the schools themselves, have extremely long school hours, they are just like the kids in school in America.
After introducing ourselves, and chatting for a bit, Bob, Cathy, her friends (and our new friends) went outside for the concert their school was having. Some contestants from the Taiwanese Idol came to their school to give a concert, so they didn't have to stay in the classrooms that day. We went and tried out some food; Wil, and his stinky tofu (whew, it really is stinky), and me and my octopus. Each new food tasted like an adventure. And it sure was an adventure to ready myself for eating it, but the octopus wasn't bad.
We also got to try tons of other things, which were pretty good.
After the concert, Cathy's friend (and classmate), Alice, was having a birthday party at this barbecue place, and invited Wil and I to go.
The restaurant was awesome; we got our own room with a karaoke machine. It was also cool how we were served our food-- raw, but then they had grills on the table so we could cook it ourselves (which was nice, since I like to almost thoroughly cook my meat). I learned that pretty much every Taiwanese teenager in that room could sing really well.
So after some amazing barbecue, Cathy, two of her friends, and I went shopping! It was a blast, we hopped down the sidewalks as they chanted, "You and me are friends, they are friends, WE are friends!". It was actually pretty funny.
We went to a lot of stores, but it got cut short because of the rain.
Afterwards, we went back to Cathy's house to sleep.

All in all, it was a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment