Monday, June 15, 2009

Church, Amazing Restaurants, the Flower Market, the Zoo, and the Night Market

Today, the entire group (the host students + the PYA) planned to go to Vicky's church, Grace Church.
I woke up around 7:30 a.m., worried that I had overslept and possibly made us late to church, however, Cathy's mother was nearby and I asked her what time Cathy and I would be going to the church. She wasn't quite sure, so she knocked on Cathy's room door and a sleepy Cathy came out and said we wouldn't be leaving for another two hours.
Once we did leave for church, the host students plus the PYA's met up and rode in separate cars to Grace Church. Once there, we were told to take off our shoes, and were seated in the front.
At first, I wasn't sure what to expect, but as the sermon went on, I enjoyed every minute of it. First, they all sang (in Chinese, which sounds so pretty), and on a screen they had the Chinese letters plus the words in English, which was very thoughtful of them. They also had an interpreter, which was very helpful. They had everyone introduce themselves, and asked us a couple of questions, like what do we want to learn while being in Taiwan.
After the sermon, everyone got up and personally introduced themselves to us. Everyone was super friendly, and they all wanted to take pictures. They invited us to eat lunch with the whole church, however, unfortunately we were unable to since we had a planned schedule.
Afterwards, we went to this amazing restaurant that I was (finally!) able to try some amazing sushi. I now know what the hype is about (amazing) sushi.
There was also a bunch of other things that I tried; Jason, (who came to the States last year) wanted me to try a lot of delicious foods.
I was also able to speak to Roy, the student my brother hosted last year! One of the guys that came with us had his number and let me know that Roy would call, because he had wanted to say hi!
We chatted for a little, and it was great to talk to him again, and he let us know he may be able to come with the group next time we go out (Tuesday) and also invite Milk, another student from last year.

After the restaurant, we went to a park near a university where we all played a fun game.
During our game, a very silly dog came by and laid in the grass near us and proceeded to roll around in a very odd fashion (much like my dog, Rhasta does). We tried to call him to us, but he would just sit there and stare at us.
Finally, when we were leaving, he got up when we patted our legs at him and ran over to us. He had a collar on, and looked healthy, so we knew he wasn't a stray. He loved our attention for a little bit, and followed next to us until we walked to the end of the park, then which he turned around and ran back to where he was sitting at.

Next, we walked to a shopping mall, where outside there was a group who was doing a belly-dancing show. It was interesting, however we didn't stay long to watch.
After, we walked towards the train station, where we met up with another dog, which Ben named Chacho.
He was a very sweet, old dog who followed us all the way to the train station, tail wagging and all, and into the train station where he rolled over for belly rubs. Some of us (including me) wished we could take him back to America (he was a sweet dog!). But since we knew that would never happen, we took pictures with the sweet old dog instead and said our goodbye's to Chacho and hello to our Purell.
Once arriving in Jhabei, we were prepped on the 'Night-Market How To:'
*keep your bag in front of you, and hold it very close
*keep an eye out for the suspicious
*if anyone tries to grab your bag, etc., tell your host student.
Luckily, we had no problems with our bags.
We went into the night market, and proceeded to have a wonderful night. I even tried chicken lung...which was a bit too...gushy for my taste, but I managed to swallow it down. We ate a ton of food, then sat down near a shop, where we played the 'waving' game, (see how many people you can get to wave back). We also saw our friends from the church there!
After the night market, we all had to run to the train station (which was tiring, but fun), and hop on the train.
Finally, we got home, and it only took moments for me to fall asleep.

Another thing I've learned about Taiwan:
Taiwanese people are extremely nice and fun to be around!

No comments:

Post a Comment